All flight and ground instruction at American Air is given by Steve Shaner, who has been flying out of DeKalb – Peachtree Airport in Atlanta since 1971. Steve has a strong passion for flying and teaching and here is a summary of his aviation background:
- Years as a pilot – over 54
- Years as a full-time flight instructor – over 48
- Years as a former FAA – Designated Pilot Examiner – Private through ATP – over 32
- Location where Steve received initial pilot training – Lambert – St. Louis International Airport (1969)
- Steve was one of 5 examiners in Georgia (out of 15) who was authorized to conduct initial Flight Instructor check rides for the FAA.
- Total pilot time – over 10,000 hours
- Total multiengine time – over 700 hours
- Total turbojet time – 150 hours
Steve has lectured in over 72 FAA Flight Instructor Revalidation courses and several FAA safety seminars. Steve has also taught thousands of hours in classroom ground schools.
Steve holds the following pilot and instructor certificates:
- Airline Transport Pilot
- Airplane Multiengine
- Flight Instructor Single and Multiengine Instrument Airplane and Citation 500 Jet type rating
- High performance aircraft
- High altitude aircraft
- Tail – wheel aircraft
- Aerobatics instructor
- Wheelchair pilot instructor
- Former FAA Pilot Examiner
- Highly-experienced and proficient on Garmin G-1000 and Avidyne Integra Glass Cockpit Panels and Garmin GNS430 and 530 GPSCOMMs
- Experienced and proficient on many different makes and models of autopilots
- Insurance-approved and factory-trained to provide initial and recurrent training in the Columbia 400 and Piper Malibu / Mirage / Matrix / M350 airplanes.
Steve has an excellent reputation with the FAA – Atlanta Flight Standards District Office, the VA and in the industry in general. He also has an excellent safety and student pass record.
Steve has pilot experience in the following aircraft: Cessna 150,152,170,172, 172RG,177,177RG,182,182RG,Turbo 182RG,206,210,310,340,Citation Jet I,II, Piper Cub, Tomahawk, Cherokee 6, 140,160,180,235,6XTC, Warrior I,II, Comanche 250, 260, Dakota, Archer II, III, LX, Saratoga SP, Arrow I,II,III,IV, Turbo Arrow IV, Malibu, Malibu Mirage, Seminole, Twin Comanche, Aztec F, Apache, Seneca I, II, III, Navajo, American Champion Citabria, Super Decathlon, Aviat Husky, Grumman Tiger, Rutan Long E-Z, Mooney 201,231,252,Aero Commander 112, Lark, Beechcraft Sundowner, Sierra, Bonanza V-35,F33A, F33C, A-36,Turbo A-36, Duchess, Baron 55, Stinson 108-3, Columbia/Cessna 400/Corvallis, Cirrus SR22 and Mitsubishi MU-2.